We quite often write features on the benefits of adult orthodontics, however in this article we’d like to focus on how effective modern treatments can be for children when it comes to the diagnosis and treatment of crooked or misaligned teeth.
The term ‘orthodontics’ comes from the Greek ‘orthos’ (meaning straight) and ‘odous’ (meaning tooth)- and this describes the practice of orthodontics almost exactly, being the treatment of irregularities in the teeth and jaws. The most common way to treat these irregularities are braces, which I’m sure all of you reading are familiar with, either from having them yourself as a child or knowing someone who has. The reason so many children have braces is because it’s easier to identify and treat dental issues before they become a more serious issue further down the line.
There are a wide variety of reasons why braces might be needed, so we’ll list a few here:
- Crooked, crowded or overlapping teeth
- Teeth that are spaced or far apart
- Upper teeth that extend well past the lower teeth when biting down (also known as an Overbite)
- Lower teeth that extend past the upper teeth when biting down (known as an Anterior crossbite or Underbite)
- Upper teeth that don’t overlap the lower teeth at all (known as an Open Bite)
- Diastema- a space between two teeth, usually the front teeth (think Madonna)
- Impacted Tooth- when a tooth is unable to erupt through the gum normally
As you can see, there are so many dental issues that orthodontics can treat, which is why so many young people have braces, as it’s the perfect way to fix these problems early on. Having your teeth, face and jaws as straight and balanced as possible is not only more aesthetically appealing, but it allows for easier teeth cleaning and enhanced function for long term dental health.
Here at the practice, we offer a few different options for braces- namely Damon braces, a light-force, low-friction appliance which allows for fast results, leading to fewer visits and allowing the jaw to grow to its full potential (which is essential for the developing mouth). For the more aesthetically conscious, we offer Invisalign braces for more simple corrections, which are becoming increasingly popular as they are virtually invisible- meaning only you and your dentist need to know about your braces! If you wish to book an orthodontic appointment for you or your child, don’t hesitate to give us a call on 020 7487 5221, so we can ensure your teeth get straight and balanced as soon as possible.